Saturday, June 28, 2008

You got to feel it for yourself!

There's only one and only one mission when we decide to go Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. That is to challenge ourselves, to try Mt. Kinabalu.

We bought our tickets last September. We didn't start training until its near to our climbing date. :-p

When we saw the mountain from our van, i don't know about the rest, but I was a bit scared when i see the real thing. Its so so so so tall.

We spent the night at Pine Resort before starting the climb next morning. It was very cold at the resort.

We started from the Timpohon gate. It was very misty and a bit windy. A bit chilly.

This is one of the better trails..there are worse than this.



As we got up, its getting colder and by afternoon, it rains! We keep moving to keep warm.


















I was getting really wet...SIGH..


















This is Aileen, looks like ninja right? But she is the toughest of us all, she carried 10kg on her back.






While me & Oink hired a porter to carry our 9kg load. I was only carrying 3kg on my back.WAHHAHA..

After braving heavy rain & strong winds, finally we made it !!!


to Laban Rata!...not the summit yet, need to spend a night, rest, eat first ma, before waking up the next morning at 2am to resume our adventure.

It was very very cold, I cannot even describe how cold is it. Even if the food was hot, less than 3 mins later, its cold, like eating food from fridge! And worse is that the heater only starts at 8pm! SO SO COLD. Feel oh so miserable.

Woke up at 2am to get ready.

Brought this heat pad my MIL bought from Japan. I need warmth!warmth!warmth!



Look at how cold it is at Laban Rata!

Actually its gets wayyyy colder as we go up.

There's typhoon somewhere at Philipines, according to our guide. So we are climbing up in bad weather.








My gloves are wet and my hands were freezing...:(

There are droplets of water on my eye lashes...:(

my face feels numb...:(

my 2 layers of pants also soaked wet till my underpants..:(

no sunrise to see, its was dark, windy, and cold.. :(

When i was climbing down, i sprained my left knee..it hurts like hell everytime i am bending it..so walking down from Laban Rata for 6km is like a nightmare for me. The last 2km, I even felt like crying. But i keep walking, slowly but at least I am moving on. Luckily Oink was very patient with me, although I was very grumpy from the pain.



Look at the fastest record, i don't even know how there people do it. Even the veterans did better than me..*run & hide in a corner*


Oink with his cert, I got one too :)

For many many years to come...I think I won't try such as extreme activity anymore. 'x'

I shall relax, enjoy, eat till fat fat 'x'

Even if I go KK next time, I shall go to their gorgeous beaches/ islands instead.



























Or come for their delicious DOTTS egg tart..YUMM




































Best eaten fresh from the oven!

6 comments:

Vampire said...

congrats, u made it to the top.
i went a few months ago. very cold and bad weather, too, although not as bad as yours, I think. We still managed to take pics on top, but cant see anything but mist.

kyh said...

wow! love to go there sum day! that sunset sea view pic is so awesome! and i saw most of the record breakers are from spain heh...

Anonymous said...

I'm still thinking when to go
But my stamina is diminishing fast
:(
Hope to go next year if possible...

13th Panda said...

vampirem: hehe. Good job for you too! Well at least we made it right?no photos nvm, we got THE experience!

KYH: Yes, only the veteran categories all from Malaysia. You should go try it! My advice is take it slow, no need to rush up...AHAHA

zeroimpact: Nvm, can start train up now..I also didn't do much training. :-p

Laura Hii said...

So amazing looked at record breaker. I used to heard a lot from my cousin climbed KK every years when he was at Sabah`s Uni. One day, I love to climb KK too b4 I get old.

13th Panda said...

Laura: you should try! very amazing experience..but its was a very COLD n amazing experience for me...